Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Uncle and the Nephew

In my childhood I can never remember a time when I did not know that my brother was different, and special. My earliest memories are of teaching him the word "tree" in the kitchen of our mobile home. I would type it out on the typewriter and say the word, over and over, time and time again. I cannot tell you, reader, how much pride and love I felt for my autistic brother when he walked to the door, extended his finger outside and exclaimed, "Tree!". This is a feeling that 18 years later I still remember and can feel.

As a mother, I want my son to appreciate his Uncle Trevor for who he is, autism and all. We have discussed it here and there, and even when no explaining needed to be done, I could see by the way my son acted around him that he knew.

Still, I am veyr proud of my son, and my brother as well. They both know they are different and yet they have found a way to co-exist together. While my brother is on the computer (a serious youtuber)my son will stand directly next to him for hours and watch the computer with him. They will hardly speak to each other, and have very little physical contact, but they enjoy each other's company. This makes me very happy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment