Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Standing up for Autistic Classmates

In highschool, and still today, I find myself extremely protective of my brother eventhough he is a sturdy 21 year old and soon to be highschool graduate. I encountered many instances where young, ignorant, highschool children would tease my brother and I while walking down the hall in school. I was apalled by the things that I heard, such as, "You and your brother ride the Veggie van". This particular student was refering to the handicapped bus I rode with my brother and a few other handicapped students we knew.

Sadly, even adults are falling prey to this type of negitive stereotyping and downright rude behavior. A few of my mother's coworkers remarked in a meeting (which consisted of numerous doctors and nurses alike. In fact, a doctor and a nurse made the follow remarks.) about the "retarded" people riding the "short bus" and again the "veggie van" term was used. My mother was angered, as I would have been as well, and she remarked out loud that her son rode the "short bus" "veggie van". Apologies were given, and people were embarassed by their own ignorance and unthoughtfulness.

In school's, I think the first step to being aware of autism is to read, read, read. There are many books available for small children to read, and comprehend. These books can be found at www.amazon.com and are as follows:

1. The Bully Blockers: Standing up for Classmates with Autism
2. Since We're Friends: An autism picture book By: Celeste Shally
3. My friend with Autism: A coloring book for peers and siblings By: Beverly Bishop
4. All About my Brother By: Sarah Peralta (This book was written by an 8 year old)
5. Andy and his Yellow Frisbee By: Mary Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment